– I originally found this recipe here, but have changed it a little
Ingredients for sauce:
- 1.5 cups water
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 1/4 cup of lemonade or pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup of gluten free rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tbsp orange zest (if you don’t have an orange, add a little more orange juice)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp chopped green onion or 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
-Pour water, orange juice, lemonade, rice vinegar, and soy sauce into saucepan on medium heat and stir. After 1 min add brown sugar, ginger, garlic, onion, red pepper. After it starts to boil remove from heat and let cool.
-Take 2 boneless skinless chicken cut into small pieces and pour 1 cup of the sauce over the chicken in a bag or seal-able bowl. Put it in refrigerator to marinate for at least 2 hours. Reserve the rest of the sauce liquid.
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup of gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
-Place gluten free flour in another seal-able bowl or ziploc bag. Add the chicken pieces without the sauce. Shake to coat chicken with the flour.
-Cover skillet with olive oil and add the chicken flour coated pieces. Flipping each sides of chicken until browned (add oil when needed to pan to keep it frying) and chicken reaches an internal temperature of 180 or so.
-Place the chicken pieces on a plate with paper towels
-In a small cup place cornstarch and water and stir until no longer lumpy. Add to the remaining sauce. Place sauce mixture with the cornstarch and water added to it in the wiped out skillet. As soon as sauce begins to thicken, add the chicken pieces and continue cooking and stirring for 5 minutes.
Now you are ready to eat your gluten free orange chicken!